Soak lentils overnight in water (water to cover lentils)
Sauté onion, garlic and grated ginger in coconut oil until soft. Then add celery, carrots, pumpkin, sweet potato, tomato paste, Braggs, coconut milk and water if necessary.
You may have to add water as you go along to keep a good consistency. Cook vegetables between 5 – 15 minutes and then add drained lentils. You may have to add more water at this stage. Add all the spices. Cook until lentils are done, stirring occasionally.
When cooked serve with brown rice or basmati rice.
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- ½ cup peas (optional)
- Grated ginger (as much as you like)
- Coconut oil
- 1 stick of organic celery (including leaves) (finely chopped)
- 2 carrots (grated)
- ¼ to ½ pumpkin (grated)
- Sweet potato (grated) optional
- 2-3 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ to one cup of coconut milk
- 1 ½ to 2 cups of brown or green lentils (best soaked beforehand)
- 2-3 tblspns cumin
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tbl turmeric (Spices are an estimate – suit to your taste)
- 1 tbls garam Marsala
- 2 tbls ground coriander
- Herbamere organic salt (Available in the supermarket)
- Some water may be added during cooking to achieve the desired consistency